Pork with Caramelized Onion
What you'll need: (serves 2-4)
4 pork loin steaks (or pork chops), thickest of the fat strips removed
4 onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp honey
200ml chicken stock
1. Heat a little oil in a pan, add the onions, cover with a lid and leave to sweat over a low heat for 10-15 minutes until the onions are softened and just starting to color, then stir in the garlic and honey to the onions.
2. Place the pork loins into the bottom of the slow cooker, spoon over the onions and carefully pour the stock around it, trying not to dislodge the onions from on top of the pork.
3. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, then dig in! :)
Paleo Onion Rings
What you'll need: (yields 35-40 pieces)
1 red onion
2/3 cup cashew meal
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
3 eggs, beaten
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
1. Chop the ends off the onion, peel and slice the onion (larger than 1/4" thick). Remove the rings and transfer the smaller bits to a dish for later use in a salad or dressing.
2. Now prepare the dipping stations. In the first station beat your eggs until the yolks and whites are combined. In the second station combine the cashew meal, sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. In the third station spread a layer of parchment across your baking sheet.
3. Dip the onion rings into the beaten eggs and using the fork for the egg station flip the onion so it's equally coated.
4. Transfer the dipped onion to the cashew mixture and use a new fork for the second station to flip and equally coat in the dry mixture. Then transfer the coated onion to the parchment paper lined baking sheet.
5. Continue this process until your baking sheet is filled.
Note: If you don't let all the drips drop off before you move from the egg station to the cashew station your dry mixture will start to clump up fast and you will need to add more ingredients and start over. So be sure to let the drips drop.
6. Bake the onions for 6 minutes, flip and bake for an additional 4 minutes. Transfer to a broiler for 30 seconds to a minute to brown and finish. Let the onion rings cool, they will firm up further if you let them sit. Then enjoy! :)
Sausage Onion Casserole
What you'll need:
Barbecued Paleo Sausages
2 Red Onions
2 Brown Onions
1 clove garlic
2 handfuls of raw almonds
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 glass red wine
Salt & Pepper
1. Dice the onions and brown them in a pan of coconut oil.
2. Added the crushed garlic, the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and the stock. Let the mixture simmer for a few minutes while chopping up the almonds.
3. Added the almonds and wine to the pan, and allowed it to continue simmering for a few minutes, before adding the cut up sausages. Seasoned and add in the rosemary.
4. Once the sausages are thoroughly heated serve up the casserole and let the extra cool for freezing or leftovers! :)